Swing Fit is a dance fitness class for the young at heart. With dance steps and music from the swing era, you’ll forget you’re exercising as you dance along to the Lindy Hop, Charleston and Jive.
If you loved to dance when you were younger or are looking for a fun way to stay active and make friends, Swing Fit is a great way to get moving. It’s low impact, with options to suit all different levels of fitness, and you don’t need any dance experience.
Just follow along to the easy moves and joyful music that you’ll just want to dance to (none of that ‘boom boom’ stuff). Wear clothes and shoes you’re comfortable to move in and get ready to shake, shimmy and smile while you sweat!
Swing Fit classes are fun and sociable. Regulars enjoy a monthly Swing Fit lunch and other social events including the annual Snow Ball and the Gatsby Afternoon Tea.
Weekly SwingFit Classes
- Mondays 11:15 St Aidan's Church Hall, Front Street, Framwellgate Moor, Durham DH1 5BL
- Mondays 19:00 Newton Aycliffe WMC, DL5 5 NU
- Tuesdays 10.45 Spennymoor Leisure Centre DL16 6FB
- Tuesdays 11:00 Citizens House, Consett DH8 5RL
- Tuesdays 13:00 Belmont Parish Hall, Broomside Lane, Belmont, Durham DH1 2QR
- Tuesdays 19:45 Holy Saviours Church Hall, Manor Road, Tynemouth NE30 2LD
- Wednesdays 12:30 Lanchester Community Centre, Newbiggen Lane DH7 0PB
- Thursdays 10:00 Christ Church Parish hall , Preston Road, North Shields NE29 OLW
- Thursdays 10:00 Bishopton Village Hall TS21 1HB
- Thursdays 10:30 St John's Hall, Meadowfield DH7 8RP
- Thursdays 13:00 Bullion Hall, Chester-Le-Street DH2 2DW
- Thursdays 19:00 King James I Academy. Bishop Auckland DL14 7JZ
- Thursdays 19:00 St Andrew's Hall, Fabian Road, Eston TS6 9BA
- Fridays 10:00 St Aidan's Church Hall, Front Street, Framwellgate Moor, Durham DH1 5BL
Just turn up! There is no need to book so just pay £5 on the door.
Wear comfortable clothes that you can move around in and shoes that support your feet - for example trainers without too much grip. Bring a bottle of water, as you may get hot and thirsty.
We’ll ask you to complete a simple health questionnaire when you arrive, but don’t worry, that’s just to make sure that Swing Fit is safe and fun for you.
For more information, email us or call 07719174544
Questions and Answers
Will I be the oldest/youngest in the class?
Swing Fit welcomes ladies of all ages from 50 – 85. Most of the ladies who come regularly are aged 50-70.
Do I need to be fit to join the class?
You don’t need to be fit to join Swing Fit, but you will find your fitness improves as you dance along at regular classes. There are always different options to suit different levels of fitness in each class. If you are unsure, or have a health condition, please ask your doctor before joining the class.
What should I wear?
Wear comfortable exercise clothes such as T-shirts and leggings. You will also be able to move more easily if you wear shoes that are comfortable with a smooth sole.
Will I be able to keep up with the class?
The moves are easy to follow and you do not need to learn and remember routines. Just join in at your own pace and have fun!
What if I have no rhythm and can’t dance?
You don’t need any dance skills. We’ll show you what to do and you can follow along with simple moves. When you join, you’ll also get a free DVD that shows you the steps.
Do I need to book?
You can simply turn up at any of our classes. But send us a text on 07719174544 in case we’re taking a break.
How long is the class?
Each Swing Fit class is one hour. At the end of the class, you are invited to stay for a cup of tea.
How Swingfit Began
Joo-Lee started Swing Fit classes in 2010 as part of an ‘Arts into Wellbeing’ project organised by the NHS. It proved to be so popular that, it’s kept going ever since. We have a core of regular Swing Fit dancer who offer a warm and friendly welcome to newcomers.
Joo-Lee chooses joyful and uplifting swing music for each class. Music that lifts your spirits and that encourages you to dance your troubles away. She believes that our physical health is connected to our emotional and mental well-being, so wants to make sure everyone enjoys the class and leaves with an extra spring in their step.
You can now learn your Swingfit moves at home! This online course has lots of useful hints & tips to help you dance well. Check it out!