What People Say
- "I Absolutely loved it! I was really nervous to begin with but then I found my stride (I think!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. My friends loved it too, it's not something we usually do and it was great to meet new people in a relaxed atmosphere where there was no pressure about getting it perfect or dancing in front of the class."
- Alex Purvis, Pink Label
- "Helping with the one-off workshops makes me think hard about the different needs of the different types of students and what has to be achieved in the time available e.g. something to use without getting overly technical.
- I question my own teaching style and its good to share some alternative approaches and ideas so that I have more tool in my teaching toolkit and can be more flexible.
- It's good to take time to stand back and consider how different people learn so I can tailor my approach to lessons and be aware of the needs of all students. Teaching is a responsibility and it's important that we question what we do.
- I always come away with lots of food for thought."
"I attended your workshop in Durham on Saturday 21 July with my partner John, and I just wanted to say how much John and I both enjoyed it. All the teachers were very welcoming, friendly and helpful. We have no aspirations to be the next Strictly Dancing champs but now feel that we won't look too out of place on our next holiday when hitting the dance floor. Thanks again for a fun afternoon."
"I had a brilliant time on Tuesday, I really enjoyed learning the steps and found that everyone I spoke to and danced with were lovely, friendly and encouraging. The music was equally good, and I thought the room and the decor were fitting for the evening.
I will definitely be coming again on Tues, going to make it a regular thing, and I've told a lot of my friends about the class!"
"The Blues night was absolutely fabulous. There was a real mix of people – experienced dancers, jivers, as well as people who were completely new to dance. Everybody had a great time! I just love it and I want more of it. And the teaching was absolutely great; very, very accessible even for people who have never danced a step, they all felt they could do it."
It was wonderful! You made us able to dance at the end of it. This is my first experience of Blues and I felt fine. I felt I could really do something.
I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the music. It was nice to see some new faces there. Looking forward to the next one. What did I get out of it? An appreciation of how to dance slowly because you need to get used to that and I don’t normally. Once you get into the swing of it, it’s really easy, it’s really enjoyable.
You struck a great balance for more & less experienced dancers.
"The scene was a candlelit function hall in the Three Tuns, Durham. It was a muggy evening and by around eight o' clock, the atmosphere was heating up, the band was swinging and toes were tapping. There followed a maelstrom of infectious music (courtesy of Andy the DJ), colour and most importantly, fast footwork.
This was a Summer Ball with a difference. Organised by Joo-Lee and Andy of lindy-jazz.co.uk, it was the culmination of Durham's 'Streets of Dance' festival.
The dancing was truly phenomenal and it was a massive challenge to do the dancers justice, armed only with a couple of cameras, some seriously fast lenses and a few flashguns.
Joo-Lee has kindly offered to teach my fiancee and I to throw a few moves in time for our wedding in October. She claims to be able to teach someone to dance in one session and having seen a few of the 'one-sessioners' on Sunday night, I'm here to tell you it's a completely justifiable claim.
Altogether, a fantastic evening - I've rarely seen a group of grown ups grinning and laughing for such a prolonged period, all without the consumption of excess alcohol!
- Jamie Emerson
"The only place I've come across where I'm enjoying swing music regularly. Parties are full of good mix of people, all friendly, and all there to have a good time in a great atmosphere"
"I brought my clients from Clarity Diners Club to one of the Lindy Jazz nights in Durham and we had a ball! We received a warm welcome from Joo-Lee as we arrived and then fabulous dance instruction. This combination gave us the confidence to relax and have a really fun evening! Highly recommended as a classy place to go."
- Clare Coffield, MD, Clarity Diners Club